As we wrote previously, Tandem Armidale is now the proud owner of a new racing Duratec tandem. After some trouble with transport (notably a trip from Brisbane to Sydney where the bike should have been dropped off on the way through, but wasn’t), the bike has been delivered, reassembled and ridden.
We have had a tradition of naming our bikes, the last being known as Black Betty, for her predominately black paint job. This bike we have christened, or perhaps re-christened, Stella in honour of our friend, comedian, advocate, editor and fashionista Stella Young.
Between transport, illness and rain (which we really needed) we finally got Stella out for her Shakedown cruise on Monday 15 December 2014. As stoker, the biggest change is the extra reach, which brings me down to a lower position than on Black Betty, something much closer to the single bike I use on my trainer. In addition, the gearing feels smoother, while there’s a reduction in weight that’s really noticeable on a climb. (And let’s face it, Armidale is all climbs).
Pilot Dave agree’s saying she climbs better than Black Betty, feels much lighter than the old girl and doesn’t pause as much between pedal strokes.
Once again we’d like to thank all of those who have supported us and got us to the point where we could get the bike. Again, in no particular order:
- Blind Sporting Council
- Armidale, Armidale Dumaresq and Duval Lions Clubs
- Austin College, UNE
- Armidale Bowling Club
- New England Mutual
- Jurgen Schaub
- Wendy Berkley
- Jo Wauch
- Dave Gaukroger
- Geoff Stratten
- Peter Meers
- Diane Donaldson
- Todd Norbury
- Michele Deschamps
For those who are keeping score, and are interested in such things, here’s Stella’s components list:
- Brakes: Campagnolo chorus dual pivot skeleton.
- Levers and derailleurs: Chorus carbon 11 speed, cane creek stoker pegs.
- Wheels: Fulcrum racing 7
- Cranks: Gebhardt tandem with 52/39 chainrings
- Bars: Ritchey WCS carbon with Ritchey carbon stem for pilot, alloy for stoker.
- Seatposts: Deda for pilot, Ritchey for stoker (both alloy)
- Saddles: fi’zik antares for pilot, fi’zik aliante for stoker.
- Headset: FSA orbit
- Frame: Duratec big bang r9